Come on! Am I really stalking a person if I visit their Twitter page over 10 times a day, or if I friend the friends of the person I so dearly admire?!?! Or what if I “Google” around to find any contacts that could get me just a step closer to voice I dream to hear? Call it crazy if you want, but thorough research is the foundation of a successful career.
Don’t knock what you never tried, and definitely never make judgement from the window; the only true way to success is to start on the path that has been imprinted with success. There is always somebody first at everything that experienced the challenges and have broken through the barriers so prosperity is more accessible for the dreamers who follow. Find that achiever who moves you to want to set milestones in your life and use them as a guideline to implement strategies of success in your own life; it’s not stalking, it’s called research. I have provided some tips below that have helped me get steps closer to my dream.
1. Start setting goals in your life. When it comes to a great career, nothing ever happens overnight; you need to really decide what YOU want YOUR purpose to be in your life and make it a happy profession. Take the time to draw out your steps to reaching your goal and cross them off as you achieve them.
2. Speak those things that are not as though they were. It may be a little rough in the beginning to get things started, but you must walk with faith and confidence. You have to know that you have the power to sell silence if it is presented and packaged well. Begin to carry yourself as a professional, which mean you need to act and dress like those in your playing field.
3. Everybody starts from the bottom. Get involved in your industry with an internship or volunteering with businesses that are similar to your goals. Pride is a big factor in whether you will have a successful career or not. Don’t ever feel like you are “too big to take an unpaid gig”. Sometime that’s what is needed to showcase your skills and ambition; besides you never know who is watching you!
4. Stalking is okay as long as it remains professional. Don’t be afraid to tweet an icon, or comment on some discussions and forums they may present. Engage with social media and initiate small conversation with strangers. The fact is, if you have something interesting to say, intrigued ears are eager to listen. Look at some of the activities your role model does and try to emulate them in your own way. As Rick Ross says “By any means necessary,” you have to want this so bad that you go to every angle to find hidden steps that get you to where you want to be.
5. Networking is the number one key to making the connections to the big people! Regardless of what point you are at in your life, have some networking card to share as you meet new people. Get out as much as you can and get involved in conferences and industry events. If you have to stalk your icon just to be in the same building as them, hey at least you are meeting people who may be associated with them in the process. The key is to meet people, which means when the business starts to take off, you are not chasing people, they are chasing you!